Biking, continued fractions, and the NFL labor agreement

Hello on Wednesday July 20th, how is everyone getting along. Good, I hope. We are now one month into the summer season. I am enjoying it now while it is hot, soon we will have milder temperatures again.

This morning I went for a 17 mile bike ride on the Poudre River Trail. From 83rd avenue to the Island Grove arena. It is really nice this time of year with some of the trail shaded. The river has receded and there were only a couple of places with standing water on the path. I saw a squirrel, a toad, a white egret, several pelicans, and lots of birds.

I have been studying continued fractions in trying to solve problem 66 on project Euler. It doesn’t seem like anything too complicated, I just want to implement a python function to calculate a continued fraction and go from there. If I give the function a value, like the square root of 23, I want it to return a list of the values in the decimal portion of the number, so it would be 4. then a list of numbers. I think this will go a ways in solving that problem as well as some of the other project Euler problems. That’s my approach for now, maybe I’ll refine it later.

Observing recent news reports on the NFL labor negotiations, it seems as though an agreement may be near. Each side is said to have won on some points, with a new $1 billion dollar benefits agreement for retired players being the high point. With all the recent research linking football players to brain injuries, that is a much needed part of the agreement. There will also be restriction on the players workouts, with player safety being the main concern. The owners will probably get a larger share of the overall revenue, the players are said to be negotiating for 46 – 48 percent, down from the 50/50 agreement that has expired. Rookies will also get smaller paychecks, about half of what some had signed for in the 2010 season.

Well, that’s all for now. I am not meeting the daily goal for, today only three hundred and sixty – nine words.


Rocky Mountain National Park – Bear Lake

Bear Lake
Rocky Mountain National Park - Bear Lake

Over 500 pieces, completed on July 19th, 2011

Starry Night – Photomosaic

The Starry Night
Starry Night

This puzzle has been ridiculously challenging. I had to look at ‘the picture’ – a fold out photo of the puzzle included in the box – for nearly every piece. It is a very nice photo mosaic puzzle. There are hundreds of small pictures of the United States space program. From men walking on the moon, to space shuttle team photos, to rockets launching, to splash downs in the ocean, to pictures of the atmosphere, this puzzle has it all. There are 62 x 46 or 2852 small pictures.

Actual Painting in the Museum of Modern Art

Python photo mosaic – for starters

Update – November 24th, 2015

My Github repository for this project: Photomosaic on Github. While trying to get the color enhanced a bit, I’ve tried several different mosaic programs, so don’t get confused. The working program for windows is


Good news on my mosaic program, I got the run-time down from 55 minutes to 3 seconds with some tweaking. The 3 seconds is for a picture 375 x 210 pixels. I also tried a full size 3264 x 2448 pixel photo, it took about 3 and a half minutes to finish. Today I implemented an idea on the project, it seems to bring a bit more color into the mosaic and looks a little more real.

375 x 210 pixel photo:


A larger photo: Long’s Peak

Long’s Peak Original:

Original Post:

How is everyone doing on this Thursday evening? I trust all are doing well and having a good summer.

I am very happy that I got my mosaic project to work today. I was able to output a mosaic from a given photo. The color matching is not yet accurate; however, it does fill in the picture with pictures from the picture database. Yes! – although it is a very preliminary version of the program and took about 55 minutes to run. Yikes! Below is the original picture, my version of the photo mosaic, and the way the mosaic should look.


My Version:

The way it should look:

I got the idea to do this project from someone who had posted a programming help wanted ad on one of the freelance programming sites. Apparently he wanted someone else to do his homework. Anyway, I got the details and decided to give it a try. Here is the original problem.