Update – November 24th, 2015
My Github repository for this project: Photomosaic on Github. While trying to get the color enhanced a bit, I’ve tried several different mosaic programs, so don’t get confused. The working program for windows is Mosaic.py.
Good news on my mosaic program, I got the run-time down from 55 minutes to 3 seconds with some tweaking. The 3 seconds is for a picture 375 x 210 pixels. I also tried a full size 3264 x 2448 pixel photo, it took about 3 and a half minutes to finish. Today I implemented an idea on the project, it seems to bring a bit more color into the mosaic and looks a little more real.
375 x 210 pixel photo:
A larger photo: Long’s Peak
Long’s Peak Original:
How is everyone doing on this Thursday evening? I trust all are doing well and having a good summer.
I am very happy that I got my mosaic project to work today. I was able to output a mosaic from a given photo. The color matching is not yet accurate; however, it does fill in the picture with pictures from the picture database. Yes! – although it is a very preliminary version of the program and took about 55 minutes to run. Yikes! Below is the original picture, my version of the photo mosaic, and the way the mosaic should look.
The way it should look:
I got the idea to do this project from someone who had posted a programming help wanted ad on one of the freelance programming sites. Apparently he wanted someone else to do his homework. Anyway, I got the details and decided to give it a try. Here is the original problem.